Saturday, July 9, 2011

a day in the life of a Mompreneur..

Mom + Small Business Owner + Wife = one thing and one thing only, not enough time in the day...



Yup - that's us. I swore I'd never put a picture up of the kids/hubs, but how can I resist when they are this fabulous? Besides, this photograph is almost 4 years old. The kids are much bigger and louder now.

 Back to that whole not enough time in a day thing... I am constantly wracked with guilt about what isn't getting done. I'm either NOT doing laundry, NOT spending time with my husband, NOT playing baseball with the kids or NOT working on this little bitty business that I call my own. And, to be perfectly honest - they all NEED me. Of course, there are priorities.. and sometimes, we don't have enough clean socks to go around... but, there is always enough love and so what if we are having breakfast for dinner, again - you guys love fruit loops and frozen waffles.

I just thought you'd enjoy a day in the life of... I mean, why not? You read all my other crazy shit. For starters, it's almost 1am on a Friday night - the house is quiet. Perfect Mommy drinking wine and watching a movie time.. I'm blogging. Oh wait, I just blogged about wine and a movie, does that count?

So, my alarm is usually set for any time from 3am - 7am depending on what the day ahead holds. If I'm baking, the earlier the better. I get finished before breakfast and can actually shower and funnel a cup of coffee before delivering and throwing some breakfast at the squirrel monkeys. Generally, before breakfast someone has had a mach 4 meltdown over socks, cereal, or perhaps the fact that Mommy has finally put her foot down and "NO, we aren't watching Sponge Bob again..". We skate over the first meltdown and pack up to make deliveries, hoping once we are all buckled in the car that mine and the kids teeth have been brushed, hair isn't a tangled mess, and that there are no "boob stains" on my shirt... hell, let's just hope I brushed my teeth. During the school year, my first stop is kiss and ride at the Elementary school - which we all know has stresses of it's own. "kiss, kiss, loveyouhaveagooddayseeyouthisafternoonbegood! all in 5.3 seconds - 'cause you cannot slow down the flow of the Elementary school drop off line. It's punishable by being shunned at the next PTA meeting. I'm not kidding, don't laugh. I get nervous and start to sweat - every. single. time.

Depending on where deliveries are, we can be in the car for a good long while. If the kiddos are tagging along we usually come prepared - snacks, hand held video games, but... let's be honest - at some point the kids are fist fighting and launching themselves from the back seat over the captains chairs and I'm desperately begging them to stay away from the cupcakes, and stop biting each other! It happens. Hopefully no one draws blood, 'cause Lord knows we don't have time to stop for first-aid.

By the time we get home, if we make it in one piece... everyone is a little worse for wear and probably hungry.. look! Cheerios for dinner! And chocolate milk!

If I'm really lucky, at some point in the evening I'll find my daughter holed up in the bathroom attempting to wax her arms and legs with Mommy's eyebrow waxing kit. True Story.

But, the best part of the day, is when things finally quiet down, there is no more tornado affect rolling through the house and we get to tuck those little monkeys into bed. There is nothing sweeter or more peaceful than a sleeping child. No, really... nothing.

Long story short, all you mompreneurs out there...  take pride in the simple fact that no matter what, we do our best as parents and work our tired hineys off as providers and moms and wives and sisters, friends, etc. for our families.
I may carry guilt with me forever, but what kind of mom would I be if I didn't?



No comments:

Post a Comment